A lot of this recipe has been taken from the Pandan Chiffon cake recipe as I used the same recipe to do this cake, so don't mind, but you will find similar wordings.
The Orange Poppy Seed Chiffon cake tasted yummy - It really is nice & soft with that touch of crunch from the poppy seeds... Mmmmm...... Great with a nice hot cuppa!
|Zesters are the best things!|
6 x egg yolks
2oz (liquid oz) corn or canola oil (I used olive oil)
2.5oz raw caster sugar
5oz self-raising flour
2oz (liquid oz) freshly squeezed orange juice
zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup poppy seeds
|White, Stiff & Glossy!|
Bowl B (cake beater bowl):
- Important note: make sure this bowl has absolutely NO GREASE on it... wash it in super hot soapy water if necessary!!
6 x egg whites
2.5oz caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1. I have bought some nice new heavy duty non-stick cake tins & do not need to oil/grease them. (alternative: use normal cake tin but line with baking paper - paper must rise higher than cake tin, as this cake will rise high or use a deep non-stick cake tin but just line the base to make it easier to remove cake from tin).
|Egg Yolk Mixture - well mixed!|
3. Using a cake beater, whisk ingredients in Bowl B (egg white mixture) until white, stiff & glossy. Do a test: put bowl of beaten egg white upside down, if correct consistency, nothing moves, egg white remains in bowl. If as you're putting bowl upside down, egg white moves, it has not been beaten enough.
4. Take 2-3 spoonfuls of egg white & mix into the egg yolk mixture to thin the egg yolk mixture slightly.
5. SLOWLY fold egg yolk mixture INTO egg white mixture.
6. Pour mixture into Chiffon Cake Tin & smooth top of cake.
7. Bake at 150Celsius for 1 hr or till skewer comes out clean.
8. Cool cake in tin upside down until completely cool before removing from tin.
Instead of 2oz = orange juice, zest of an orange & poppy seeds, try:
(a) Pandan Chiffon Cake
(c) Add 25g black sesame seed powder to a liquid measuring cup, then pour & mix in low fat soy milk up to the 2oz level.