Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chocolate and Orange Hot Cross Buns

Breakfast: 13-Apr-2011

Wanted to bake something today but just didn't know what... so off I went searching on the internet then I remembered during our chat last night after Boot Camp exercise that  somehow hot cross buns came into the conversation and no, I had never made any before... hence resulting in some direction for my internet search... and my inspiration for tonight's baking for tomorrow's breakfast... LOL! My kids don't seem to like sultanas very much, so I searched for chocolate hot cross buns and found one with orange... Yummy...  :-)


Blessed Easter Everyone! :-) Please stay safe on our roads this holidays yah... 


Recipe was adapted from 2 separate websites:
(a) http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article5982542.ece
(b) http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/food/everydayrecipes/994527/mini-choc-chip-hot-cross-buns


Ingredients:

Before Proving
For Hot Cross Buns:
500g White Wings plain flour
2 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp mixed spice
100g chocolate chips (preferable dark, but milk is OK too)
50g sultanas (I didn't have this on hand, so I just substituted with more choc chips)
Zest of 2 navel oranges, finely grated (I used my zester to zest orange then used a pair of scissors to cut finer)


2 tbsp honey
1 egg (lightly beaten)
200ml warm water (I put freshly squeezed orange juice instead for a stronger orange flavor & it was divine)
After Proving
100ml warm milk (I used low-fat lactose free milk)
25g melted butter



Paste for crosses, I think... *hehe*
For Crosses:
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2-2.5 tbsp water


For Glaze:
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp raw caster sugar




Method:
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
Before Crosses added
2. Stir in the yeast, salt, mixed spice, sultanas, orange zest & chocolate.
3. Heat up the milk, add honey to it & stir till honey dissolved in hot milk then allow to cool to a warm temperature.
4. Mix slightly warmed orange juice to milk mixture.
5. Mix egg & melted butter to the cooled milk & juice mixture.
6. Pour liquid into flour mixture then mix until it comes together into a loose dough. I used a spoon to help me do this initially, then when it came together, I used my hand to further mix it through.
7. Knead for 5 minutes until a hand indentation pressed into the surface springs back straight away.
8. Cover & leave in a warm place for about an hour or so until it has doubled in size. Preheat oven to 200Celsius.
9. When doubled in size, lightly knead again to get rid of the air. Roll out into a sausage & cut off approx 10 portions. Roll these into balls & place onto a greased & floured baking tray. Cover again & leave for 20-30 mins until they double in size again.
Enjoy spread with butter!
10. Crosses: In a small bowl, mix flour, cocoa & water to create a smooth paste. Pipe crosses on buns. 
11. Bake for 15 - 20 mins until golden brown & they sound hollow when tapped. Remove from oven.
12. Glaze: In a small saucepan, combine water & sugar. Stir over low heat for 2 - 3 mins until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, without stirring. Reduce heat & simmer 1 - 2 mins, until mixture thickens slightly. Brush over hot cross buns.
13. Transfer to wire rack to cool.


Spread some butter on it & ENJOY especially (if possible) fresh out of the oven... Mmmm... yummy...  :-) The orange citrus smell is divine... smells so so good... :-)




Share/Bookmark

No comments: