Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mocha Mud Cake

Morning Tea: 11-Apr-2011


Thanks HEAPS Lena for sharing this recipe with me & for allowing me to share it with the world...  :-)  The cake was absolutely yummy...  :-) Not sure why my baking time is soooo long though compared to yours... but anyhow, still tasted absolutely yummy!  I think I should go buy a tub of vanilla ice-cream, reheat the cake & serve it with a scoop if ice-cream... Ooooooo yummy...  Will post a pic if I can get myself out of the house on this funny rainy day! *haha*  The children seem to really love it!  :-) Don't worry mummies, I used decaf coffee powder. ;-)

Ingredients:
3 eggs - lightly beaten
Lined bottom of non-stick tin
7 fluid oz evaporated or fresh milk (I used Liddel's Lactose Free, Low Fat milk)
7 fluid oz water
7 fluid oz oil (I used sunflower oil)

13 oz raw caster sugar
3 oz cocoa powder
1.5 tsp decaf nescafe powder (I put 3 - 4 tsp for a stronger coffee taste)
6 3/4 oz plain flour
2 tsp soda bicarb

(Note: I replaced plain flour & soda bicarb for just 6 3/4 oz White Wings Self-raising flour instead.)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to about 150Celsius.
2. Line the base of a non-stick 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, hand mix with a large mixing/serving spoon, all dry ingredients together.
3. Using the same spoon, mix all liquid ingredients together.
4. Slowly pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients a little at a time, mixing it well with the same spoon. Don't be shocked, when all liquid ingredients have been mixed with dry ingredients, the end result is quite watery.
5. Pour into cake tin. Turn oven up to 180Celsius. Put cake tin straight into oven (my mum reckons this is the way to prevent the top of the cake from cracking, it seems to have worked!).
6. Bake at 180Celsius for 45 mins until center is cooked - test with a skewer. If skewer poked in center comes out clean, cake is cooked, if still sticky in the center, increase baking time by 10 min increments until center of cake is cooked throughly (I had to bake mine for about 1.5 hrs - I guess different ovens bake differently?).
7. Use a spatula to release sides of cake from tin then invert onto a rack & remove paper from cake. Cool.
8. When completely cooled, dust cake with icing sugar for a nice finish.

Serving suggestion:
Serve cake as is, or warm cake slightly in microwave for about 5 - 10 secs on high, serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: