Malaysian Style Sardine Sandwich Filling
Ingredients1 can (425g) Ayam brand Sardines in Tomato Sauce
1 brown/red onion (diced finely)
2 Tbsp Lingham's (Sweet) Chilli Sauce
2 Tbsp Lemon juice (or Lime juice - preferred)
1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
Optional Salt, Pepper & Sugar to taste.
Bread, Butter & Cucumber (for sandwich)
2. Fry diced onions until cooked (slightly translucent color)
3. Add sardines (incl tomato sauce) and remaining ingredients.
4. Mix ingredients well and simmer on low fire to reduce sauce. Whilst cooking, mash up sardines.
7. Spread cook sardines onto bread and using a cafe style sandwich toaster, toast bread with sardine filling till desired "crispyness". Remove from toaster and place onto plate.
8. Open 1 layer of toasted bread & add sliced cucumber. Cut Sandwich into half.
1.Some people reckon the removal of vein and bones from sardines would decrease fishy-ness of sardines but it doesn't bother me, so its entirely up to you.
2. I used Lingham's brand Chilli Sauce as it is a spicier than normal sweet chilli sauce to replace the fresh chillies & sugar found in the Ayam brand recipe link above.