This is excellent for lunch boxes (& picnics) because they can be eaten cold too! :-) Plus my fussy daughter actually loves it! I'm shocked as she doesn't like eating hard boiled eggs on their own... Hmmm funnily enough though, my normally not fussy son doesn't like this... Odd...
Recipe from: recipes+ mag, May 2011 issue, pg 15.
|Yummy... what's on the inside...|
Thaw: in fridge overnight.
Reheat pies on a baking tray covered with foil. Bake in an oven preheated to 180C/160C fan forced for 15 - 20 mins or until heated.
DIY idea: Replace bacon with ham, salami or pastrami.
Pies can be eaten cold and are great for picnics and packed lunches.
Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
|2nd batch I made 12 pies!!|
2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
3 bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
2/3 cup grated tasty cheese (I used mozzarella cheese)
8 eggs, at room temp
1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Cut pastry into quarters (squares). Line 8 holes of a 12-hole (1/3 cup) muffin tray with pastry squares.
2. Sprinkle bacon & cheese into pastry cases.
3. Carefully crack 1 egg into each case.
4. Bake for 20 mins or until egg is set & pastry is golden.
Optional extra: Top with more cheese after 10 -15 mins of baking then carry baking till pastry is golden & egg set & cheese on top has melted.
4 Remove from oven. Stand in tray for 5 mins, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
[If freezing freeze at this point, see tips above]
5. Serve pies sprinkled with parsley.