Recipe was obtained from the book, "Mmmm Casseroles" by Love Food, page 50.
It was Yummy.... although quantity says for 6 pple, I think it'll comfortably feed about 8 pple. My hubby packed some for lunch today & there's still a bit left... Yummy... or perhaps its because my hubby was the only guy eating, the rest were women... who knows! LOL! I couldn't get enough of the chickpeas... love em! Lamb was really soft too... & its my 1st time trying chorizo sausages... they were yum!
1. 6 tbsp olive oil
2. 225 g/8 oz chorizo sausage (more is OK), cut into 5mm/ 1/4 inch thick slices, casings removed.
3. 2 large onions, chopped
4. 6 large garlic cloves, crushed
5. 900 g/2 lb boneless leg of lamb, cut into 5 cm/2 inch chunks
6. 250 ml/9 fl oz lamb stock or water
7. 125 ml / 4 fl oz red wine, such as Rioja or Tempranillo
8. 2 tbsp sherry vinegar (I didn't put this in as I didn't have it)
9. 800g/1 lb 12 oz canned chopped tomatoes
10. 4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra to garnish
11. 2 bay leaves (I didn't put this in as once again I couldn't find my bay leaves... Ooopss!)
12. 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
13. 800g/1 lb 12 oz canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
14. salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole over a med-high heat.
3. Reduce heat, add chorizo & fry for 1 min. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add onions to casserole & fry for 2 mins, then add the garlic & continue cooking for 3 mins, or until the onions are soft but not brown. Remove from casserole & set aside.
5. Heat remaining oil in casserole. Add the lamb, in batches if necessary, & cook, stirring, for 5 mins, until browned on all sides.
6. Return onion mixture and chorizo to the casserole with the lamb.
7. Stir in stock, wine, vinegar, tomatoes & salt & pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, scraping any glazed bits from the base of the casserole.
8. Reduce the heat & stir in thyme sprigs, bay leaves & paprika.
9. Transfer to the preheated oven & cook, covered, for 40-45 mins, until the lamb is tender.
10. Stir in chickpeas & return to the oven, uncovered, for 10 mins or until lamb is tender & chickpeas soft.
11. Taste & adjust seasoning, adding salt & pepper if needed.
12. Serve immediately, garnished with thyme sprigs.
Recipe serves 6.