Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Easy Chocolate Orange Cake

Birthday Cupcake: 22-Nov-2010

Birthday cupcake for my good friend Adeline..  :-)  Happy Birthday dearie! :-D

Kept the cake for my family... *haha*  :-) Hubby has been enjoying a slice just about every night...  :-D Oooo I just had to have another slice especially after blogging about it... very chocolate orange-y... nice! (although I think frosting a tad bit sweet & then again, when is frosting every NOT sweet! LOL!)

Recipe obtained from the most yummiest looking cook book, "The Golden Book of Chocolate" by McRae Books; pg 502, recipe entitled, "Easy chocolate orange cake". I bought it from the book depository at the Curves Gym I attend in Riversdale...  :-)

Recipe says:
Serves: 8 - 10 pple
Preparation: 25 mins
Cooking: 35-45 mins

Ingredients:
Cake:
2 cups (300g) plain flour
1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (75g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup (125g) butter, softened
2 tbsp finely grated orange zest (I used a zester then a pair of scissors to cut it smaller... LOL!)
3 large eggs
1/4 cup (60ml) water
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb of soda)
1/2 tsp salt
2 - 4 tsp decaf nescafe coffee (optional - my little extra. I dissolved in the 60ml water (I used HOT water) in ingredients above then let it cool, or in my case, put into freezer so it'll cool in less than 5 mins *haha*).

Marbled Frosting:
1/4 cup (60g) butter
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
2 cups (300g) confectioners' (icing) sugar
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Method:
Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC/Gas 4).
2. Butter an 11 x 7 inch (28 x 15cm) baking pan (or 20 cm round cake tin & a cupcake)
3. Beat the flour, sugar, cocoa, butter, orange zest and juice, eggs water, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer at LOW speed until just  blended.
4. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until the batter is smooth, about 5 mins.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (approx 35 - 45 mins).
7. Cool the cake completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Marbled Frosting:
1. With mixer at high speed, beat the butter and orange zest in a large bowl until creamy.
2. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and milk.
3. Place half the mixture in another bowl.
4. Stir in the cocoa to 1 of the mixtures.
5. Place spoonfuls of orange & chocolate frosting next to each other on top of the cake.
6. Swirl them together with a knife to create a marbled effect.

Note: I found my mixer to big to beat the butter for the frosting so I had to add in at least 1/2 sugar to the butter & beat them together before I added the rest of the sugar & milk & follow on step 2... :-)

Enjoy!!  :-D
Share/Bookmark

No comments: